Organophosphate poisoning in 2 dogs
A 2-year-old intact male Australian Cattle Dog presented with progressive muscarinic and nicotinic clinical signs. The dog was discovered to have ingested cattle ear tags after abdominal radiographs and an oganophosphate testing of gastric contents confirmed diazinon toxicosis. The dog was treated with gastric lavage, gastroprotectants, prokinetics, antiemetics, pralidoxime chloride, and atropine.
A 3-year-old neutered male mixed breed dog presented after found eating ear tags by the owner. The tags in case 2 contained diazinon and coumaphos. This dog was treated with pralidoxime chloride. Both patients received standard supportive and nursing care and recovered completely with no further concerns.
In dogs with relevant clinical signs and potential to exposure, cattle ear tag ingestion is an important differential diagnosis to consider.
Read more by clicking on the link below: