Hi.

Welcome to my blog. I document my adventures in travel, style, and food. Hope you have a nice stay!

Sparkler Ingestion Results in Barium Toxicity

Sparkler Ingestion Results in Barium Toxicity

A 5-year-old female neutered German Shorthaired Pointer presented with acute onset of generalized flaccid muscle paralysis and fasciculations, ptyalism, and an irregular heart rhythm after ingesting sparklers containing barium nitrate. The serum barium concentration was 2,000 μg/L. Treatment consisted of fluid therapy, aggressive IV potassium chloride supplementation, and oral magnesium sulfate administration. Within 18 hours of admission, the clinical signs resolved, and the blood values concentration normalized. The animal was discharged 36 hours after admission.

Read more by clicking on the link below:

Acute barium poisoning in a dog after ingestion of handheld fireworks (party sparklers).

New guidelines released for antibiotic therapy

New guidelines released for antibiotic therapy

Stress in Hospitalized Veterinary Patients

Stress in Hospitalized Veterinary Patients